ELLIS Family in Shrewsbury early 1800s

2 replies [Last post]
Margaret Littlejohn

My husband has ancestors who were baptised at St. Mary's in Shrewsbury.  Evan (c 1775-1834) and Mary ELLIS (no marriage found) had at least 2 children baptised there in the early 1800s.  The register shows children Elizabeth (1810) and John (1812) with their parents living in Castle Foregate, and the father's occupation as weaver. 

There is also Evan ELLIS, son of Evan and Mary ELLIS baptised 1803 at St Mary's; but, father is shown as engineer and address as Factory.  There is a burial for an infant Mary in 1803, of Factory (no baptism found).  On the census records, Evan (bapt 1803) was living very close to a Henry Micklewright ELLIS, a child of Evan (c 1775-1834, my husband's gg grandfather) and his wife Elizabeth MICKLEWRIGHT, so I am presuming they have the same father.  The mothers could be different Marys as there is quite a gap between John (1812) and Evan (1803). 

Questions:  Does anyone have these names in their tree; also where is Factory?  I was born and brought up in Shrewsbury, now living in Canada, so I am not able to access local records, except for the internet.  Was Factory an area of Castle Foregate where possibly a cotton mill was located?

Michael J Hulme

Hello Margaret

With regard to your question about the location of 'Factory' I think it was possibly where St Michael's Street changed to Spring Gardens.  When the canal existed it crossed the road in two places and the one nearest Shrewsbury town centre was known as 'Factory Bridge'.  See some mapping on the National Library of Scotland web site.

There is also a larger scale map available from the same source which might help you.  Zoom in to the Spring Gardens area and look just above Factory Bridge.

Mike

Margaret Littlejohn

Thanks Mike.  That's a great map!  That looks very reasonable, close to the Thread Manufactory.

Maggie