Ludlow cemetery, Anglican - Charlotte BAKER - buried 10 Jul 1853

3 replies [Last post]
geniedonna

Good Afternoon,

I am seeking information about twin sisters, Charlotte and Fanny Baker, who died 9 July 1853, aged 1 day. Their parents were James BAKER and Eliza BRAMPTON.

I have found a reference to Charlotte BAKER, buried 10 July 1853, Ludlow cemetery, Anglican (copy of full reference below).

However I am not able to confirm that her twin, Fanny BAKER, was also buried on the same day and same place.

I would be most grateful for assistance.

Kind regards,

Donna
Bribie Island, Queensland.

First name(s) Charlotte  Last name Baker  Birth year 1853  Death year 1853
Age 1D  Burial year 1853  Burial date 10 Jul 1853
Burial place Ludlow  Denomination Anglican  County Shropshire
Archive refererence P176/A/4/2  Page 247
Register type Burial  Register date range 1836-1857
Record set Shropshire Burials  
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Parish Burials
Collections from Great Britain, England
Michael J Hulme

Hello Donna

You can view the original burial register entries for your two children on the Find my Past web site.
(This is a subscription site but you may be able to access it at your local library or archives)

Fanny BAKER is listed first aged Five Hours then the next entry is Charlotte BAKER aged One Day.  They were both buried on 10 July 1853.  I can't recognise their place of abode - it looks like 'Thee'.

In 1853 the children will have been buried in the Corve Street Cemetery, Ludlow which you will find on this Google map.  The building marked as St Leonards Press is the former Cemetery Chapel.  There is no record of a grave stone for your children.

Mike

geniedonna

Hello Mike

Thank you so much for your message and wonderful details. I will check Find My Past.

On the 1851 Census, newly-wed James and Eliza BAKER and 8 month old son James were living at 121 Old Gate Fee, Ludlow. Eliza's first born, four-year old Sarah BRAMPTON, was staying down the road at 187 Old Gate Fee with John and Maria STEAD and their ten-year old daughter Frances.

It is possible their place of abode is Old Gate Fee or maybe just Fee?

Sarah BRAMPTON went on to emigrate to Australia and she was my 2G grandmother. Sarah herself would have two sets of twins. Towards the end of her life, with her eyesight failing, Sarah would have one of her granddaughters read aloud from the Ludlow newspaper she received occasionally. 

Kind regards,

Donna

Michael J Hulme

Hello Donna

Thank you for the helpful information about the 1851 census. The address Old Gate Fee, Ludlow doesn't seem to appear (in that form) on any modern or old maps of Ludlow that I have looked at so I looked the family up on the 1851 census.  Often if you work back or forward a short way through the images other street names crop up which still exist but it is clear that Old Gate Fee was quite a long road / street from the number of pages needed to record its residents.

The other place to look for help working out where they lived is to look at the first page of the enumerators book where he describes his enumeration district.  In Ancestry, when looking at the image (not transcript) of your families page you will see a box at the bottom of the screen showing Page No of No of Pages.  Click in the left box and enter the figure one '1' and press enter.  This should take you to the enumerators description of his area.

Using the above I was able to work out your family were in the southern part of Ludlow near the River Teme.  Whilst the 1851 census enumerator used the spelling 'Old Gate Fee' it seems that by the time the Ordnance Survey map was published in the 1880's the spelling had changed to 'Holdgate Fee'.  This street extended from the Site of Old Gate (junction with Frog Lane (now called St John's Road) and Friars' Walk) down to the River Teme.  The upper part of the street towards the town centre was known as Old Street and in modern times the whole length of the street is known as Old Street.

In modern times the whole of the west side of the street and bits of the east side have been redeveloped but if you use this link to go to Google Maps it should show the section of Old Street (Old Gate Fee) where your family lived.  Select the little yellow Street View man in the bottom right hand corner of your screen and drag him to some part of the street and you will be able to view it as it is now.

By the way, I am not certain of the meaning of 'Fee' in the context of this street name.  You can try looking up the various meanings.  I have found a reference to 'The Fee (or Holdgate Fee), Ludlow' as a place name and one dictionary mentions 'an interest in land capable of being inherited'.

Mike