EDWARDS, Sarah b July 16,1837 trying to locate prior to marriage

1 reply [Last post]
lindah

Sarah Edwards married James Henry Smitten in Edgbaston on May 3, 1858 - I have a copy of the wedding certificate. She must have been pregnant because she had her first child in November 1858. I have a handwritten "Family Registry" that states she was born in Morville, Shropshire.  1861 Census states she was born in Salop "Shropshire" Weston.  1871 Census Wardle, Shropshire, 1881 Census Morville, Shropshire 1891 Census Bridgnorth.  Same person as husband and children are the same.  They had 5 children. Moved to London between 1863 and 1869.  Would love to hear from anyone who has information.

penbex86

Hi Lindah

If you look on google maps, you will see that Morville is a village just west of Bridgnorth (on the A458).

From Morville if you go west on the B4368 by about 4 miles, there is a small hamlet called Weston.

All part and parcel of the same area and this often changes slightly throughout the census years depending on who and how they recroded it!

Wardle is a little different, I dont know of a Wardle. However, there is a Wardle Close in Bridgnorth and perhaps its a past reference? The area may have formally been known as Wardle but this is only guess work.

Best advice I can give you, order the birth certificate...

Do you have her birth date on the wedding certificate? As there are MANY Sarah Edwards born in Shropshire during that period. Could show up as Bridgnorth or Wolverhampton register, as the area has a wolverhampton postcode.