Elizabeth VAUGHAN WILSON b.c. 1858 Bishop Castle, Shropshire

1 reply [Last post]
Marianne Rose

Hello everyone. I am currently researching Elizabeth Vaughan Wilson who is listed on various census' as being born at Bishop Castle, Shropshire c.1858. Her parents are listed as William Wilson b.c. 1845 in Blackburn, Lancashire, England and Louisa Francis Bowcock b.c. 1846 in Stanton Lacy, Shropshire, England. Obviously if they really are her parents, which I doubt, they would have been 13 and 12 respectively when she was born. I am in Australia and not sure where to go from here. Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Marianne

Michael J Hulme

Hello Marianne

It is quite unusual for a child to have more than one forename in 1858 unless there is some particular reason for it and I suppose that is one of your challenges - if you can guess or establish the reason for the names then you will probably be quite a bit further forward.

The Bishop's Castle registers have recently (1) been printed up to 1837 but that isn't much help to you so you probably need to visit your local Family Search Center which is part of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  You don't need to be a church member to use the Centers and the charges are modest.

You should search the Bishop's Castle Baptism Registers for 1858 +/- a few years looking for any combination of the names which you have in the hope that something jumps out at you as the likely entry.  Even if you find a near miss I would still search at least the years 1856-1860 just in case there is a second possible.

Hopefully you will find something to give you a clue which you can then use to search for her Birth Registration.

Mike

(1) The registers were published in book form in six parts, plus an index, between 1996 and 2008 so are still in copyright and not available on the Internet.