John HARWOOD [1808] of Shrewsbury

4 replies [Last post]
niknak1

Hi I have been researching my family ancestry for 6 months and most roads lead to Shropshire.

John HARWOOD is my Great Great Great Grandfather, I would like to know about his Father and Mother and anything really.
What I have so far is:-

• John was a Tin Plate Worker, as was his father Thomas HARWOOD.
  • I have John's birth date as 1808, but this is only according to census records of which show him as being married to Elizabeth [nee TOWNSEND].
  • John & Elizabeth were married in Cricklade, Wiltshire [1847] and him living in Witney Oxfordshire 1851-61 censuses, before returning to Shrewsbury in 1871-81-91 censuses.[St Mary and St Julian areas of Shrewsbury].
  • I believe Elizabeth Townsend to be his second wife, as one of the censuses show a daughter Elizabeth born 1841[ Shrewsbury].
  • John's first wife may have been a Hannah PARBOTT in St Chad's 26th Jan 1833.
  • John had at least 4 children maybe more Elizabeth 1841 Shrewsbury; Ellen 1847 Cricklade; Edward 1849 Witney [great great grandfather]; Annie 1851 Witney who later moved to Shrewsbury with John.
  • I believe John died 1894 in Atcham - not sure.

So if there is anyone that can help, anything would be gratefully received.

PS My great grandfather Thomas Harwood [son of Edward] married an Ellen Ellis whose father was Richard ELLIS 1836 Ludlow who was the son of John and Anne ELLIS 1801/1802 respectively who were innkeepers of the Spread Eagle in Ludlow 1841-51 censuses.

Regards Nick   

niknak1

Hi i have just found reference to a THOMAS HARWOOD  in the 1828 pigots directory of shropshire under braziers and tin plate workers,with ref to BRIDGE STREET SHREWSBURY. Also a possible connection through  the uk register of duties paid fir apprentices indentures 1796.again SHREWSBURY SALOP THOS HARWOOD apprentice name Chas jones , Would the reference to BRIDGE STREET be a place of work or home ? regards nick

Michael J Hulme

Hello Nick

I would think there is a good chance that these people lived and worked at the same location, living 'over the shop'.

If you go to Google maps and enter "Bridge Street, Shrewsbury" (without the quotes) the location will come up but unfortunately it has seen major alterations over the last century and now consists mainly of two car parks. Various books of old photographs of Shrewsbury no doubt have images of the street before its almost total demolition.

Mike

niknak1

Hello  Mike thank you for that would you know if there would be any type of records kept pre census of the inhabitants that lived in Shrewsbury and if so where I have Thomas HARDWOOD's son John born in Shrewsbury but nothing on Thomas or his wife, who would I need to contact?
My sister lives in Broseley and I plan to visit in the New Year as I have family ancestors born, living or dying in Shrewsbury, Ludlow, Atcham and hoppington(Loppington? - WebMaster) at the moment.
I am relatively new to this but many thanks for your help.

Regards Nick

niknak1

Have just found Thomas Harwood in the 1831 poll book under freeholders who voted he is still in bridge street but on the page there are four columns as follows [1]. sir r.h.[2] j.c.p.esq.[3] w.l.esq.[4] j,m.esq. the letters or abbrev are listed above each other not side by side does anyone know what these columns might be, By the side of each person listed in some columns the number 1 is inserted in either one or two of the columns thanks nick