John HIGGS 1675-1763. Curate of Quatford, Vicar of Highley

2 replies [Last post]
GregL

Hi,

I am writing a short biography of Rev. John HIGGS to accompany a transcription of Quatford PR's. Rev Higgs was a colourful character whose unusual behaviour in later life caused his death to be remarked on nationally. For example, the Gentlemans' Magazine recorded the death of:

Rev. Mr. Higgs, vicar of Quatford, near Bridgnorth; though his living was no more than 25l. per annum, he, by his parsimony, heaped together some thousands of pounds.

Quite a lot of information survives about Rev. Higgs including at least one diary and a manuscript biography by Bishop Thomas PERCY (of Bishop Percy's House, Bridgnorth, author of Reliques of Ancient English Poetry, etc).

According to Percy:

he raised a numerous family, bred up his eldest son for a clergyman, and resigned to him the perpetual advowson of Higley which he had bought, worth at least 60£. per annum, He set up another son a tanner, and fixed him in a house, tanyard, &c., of his own building. He set up his other sons in trades suitable, and at last left his daughter (as is believed) four or five hundred pounds in money, land and houses.

This seems to suggest that the Higgs family were well-established in the Bridgnorth area by the mid 1700's. I would love to know what became of them.

I would be interested to make contact with anyone else who is researching Rev. Higgs or his family. He married Elizabeth and had children: Richard (bapt & bur.1697, Chelmarsh); Thomas (1699, Chelmarsh - 1718/19, Quatford); William (b. 1701, Chelmarsh. Married Dinah, lived in Bridgnorth); John (b. 1704, Chelmarsh); Orlando (b. 1705/6, Chelmarsh); Richard (b. Chelmarsh 1709/10, vicar of Highley 1738. Buried at Quatford 1756); Elizabeth (married William Fox, gent. at Quatford 1749); Roger (b. 1714/15, mar. Joan Milner at Quatford 1742, bur. Quatford 1757). 

Many thanks,

Greg Lewin greg@greglewin.co.uk

Bridgnorth

Michael J Hulme

Hello Greg

I am sure many researchers with ancestry in Quatford will be pleased to hear about the transcript you are making. Will it be available to the public and if so in what format?

Mike

GregL

Hi Mike,

The Quatford transcript is almost done. Baptisms and Burials up to 1900. Marriages so far only up to about 1812. 

Volume one (CMB 1577-1712) is finished. Volume two (CMB 1713-1764) is just awaiting the introduction and biography of John Higgs. Volume three (CB & some M) 1763-1812 will be ready soon.

I have made this transcript for my own local history interest and I will supply paper copies to the church and archives as a 'thank you' for letting me do it. If there is any further interest I may consider releasing it as a searchable .pdf file.

Greg.