Reginald DYTOR - commited to Broadmoor 1950

3 replies [Last post]
daryl.stubbs47@...

I have a copy of a newspaper article by an Express Staff reporter concerning Reginald DYTOR (1930-1999) being brought from Broadmoor to give evidence at Shrewsbury court against Albert BOLTON, a former superintendent of Besford House childrens home, on three charges of forgery. It states that DYTOR was previously found guilty of the murder of Charles Bernard Davies a farmworker, a co-worker on a farm near Penley, Wrexham. The date of the article is uncertain but could be around 1950. Can anyone a) identify the newspaper, b) tell me where I might find details of Reginald DYTOR's original trial for murder? Many thanks. Daryl, Berkshire

Michael J Hulme

Hello Daryl

I suppose the newspaper could be the Daily Express but I think it is more likely to be the Express and Star which is based in Wolverhampton. This was also the local evening newspaper in Shropshire until the Shropshire Star came into existence in the 1960's.

I think your easiest way to get some precise dates is to use the name index to the Oswestry & Border Counties Advertiser which is in a card index at Oswestry Library. If you can't get there yourself they may be willing to look up an unusual name like DYTOR in the index. They should be able to supply prints from the microfilm of the newspaper(s) which carried the story at the time. There will probably be a small charge for the prints.

You will probably get more information from the newspapers than any official sources but they may be worth considering once you have precise dates and locations of the offence and trial etc.

Mike

daryl.stubbs47@...

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been in touch with Oswestry but unfortunately they have no record of a Reg Dytor. However, they suggested that I contact Wrexham Local Studies. They were able to come up with some references to the trial from a published book and from the Wrexham Leader. Additionally they suggested that since the site of the murder was Penley, perhaps Winchester Library might be able to help. That's where I am now.

Thanks again. Daryl

havern

Hi Daryl, I am puzzled by your reference to Winchester Library. Should this, in fact, by Whitchurch Library in Shropshire? It is no great distance from Penley and in the 1950's had its own newspaper The Whitchurch Herald. There is also a Heritage Centre there, telephone 01948-664577. The address is 12 St Marys Street, Whitchurch Shropshire SY13 1QY if you prefer to write. They may be able to help.

Hope this helps Hazel