Samuel PERRY b. 1780

3 replies [Last post]
Janice Henry

Hi, I am trying to find my 3x great grandfather Samuel PERRY, born 17th November 1780. I know this as I have a page from his bible that lists his name and birth date along with that of his wife and all his 8 children. He married Ann BALL 7th Nov 1903 at Trentham, Staffs. On the 1851 census it says he was born in Instock Shropshire, which I'm assuming should be Hinstock, Shropshire. This is the only place I have found his birth place mentioned. I have tried searching numerous family history sites, Ancestry, BMD Registers etc for a birth or baptism record to no avail. Can anyone tell me please where I would find the parish records for Hinstock as I can find lists of other parishes in Shropshire but not one for Hinstock. Is it incorporated with another?

I also noted on birth and baptism records for his children (BMD registers) that his wife's father is named but no names of his parents are entered. At this point I have no idea who his parents were or if he had any brothers or sisters.

If anyone could point me in the direction to go now I would much appreciate it.

Thank You

Jan

Atcherley.org.uk

Hi Janice

Hinstock baptisms are indexed on FamilySearch. There is a baptism for Samuel Perry there on 20 Dec 1780, parents named as Thomas and Eleanor Perry. Several siblings too. See this link for Perry baptisms at Hinstock from 1750 to 1800, almost all are for children of this couple.

A possible marriage for the parents is that of Thomas Perry and Eleanor Prinold at Hodnet on 4 May 1761, see this link.

To see copies of the original records and find out what other information they might reveal you would need to visit Shropshire Archives in Shrewsbury, or arrange for your nearest LDS Family History Centre to order a copy of the relevant LDS microfilms.

Regarding Samuel's marriage date, I take it you mean 1803 rather than 1903?

Steve

Janice Henry

Hi Steve,

Thank you! Thank you for your time and effort, it is much appreciated. And yes I did mean 1803 for Samuel's marriage. I was a bit nervous, first post and all, trying to get things right blush and failing miserably apparently.

I did find Thomas & Eleanor late last night so not had chance to explore this more yet. One thing I have noticed so far with my tree tho, is that family names seem to pass down through the generations but neither the parents or any of the possible siblings names (from your links above) appear at all. Is this common? I'm still fairly new to family research and to be honest I did expect to find some of the names familiar. Anyways I'm off to investigate more and plan my day out in Shropshire!

Once again Thank You.

Jan

Atcherley.org.uk

Hi Jan

Glad to have been of some help. Certain forenames do quite often get handed down from one generation to the next, 'new' ones might reflect those used by the mother's parents and siblings.

It's always worth looking for additional evidence to support the addition of new ancestors to the tree, particularly when going back beyond the time of the census and civil registration. Depending the status of the family there might be wills, monumental inscriptions on gravestones or other memorials, records relating to land etc, all of which can help decide whether or not you have found the right people. Always worth tracking the fate of siblings of potential direct ancestors too, to see if any records show them interacting (leaving bequests in wills for example, or turning up as a witness at a wedding) somewhere along the line.

Good luck with your search, and enjoy your visit to Shrewsbury and the Archives!

Steve